When Goldilocks wanted to buy a natural latex mattress topper, she only had three choices, firm, medium, and soft. But now we have to choose between Dunlop, Talalay, and Vytex. Don’t worry, I’ll explain all of that.
Finding a new mattress can be difficult and expensive. A natural latex mattress topper can help fix the comfort level of your current mattress or any new mattress you may purchase.
Not wanting to spend a ton of money on a new mattress? You aren’t alone. A latex foam mattress topper is an excellent alternative for many reasons. You are probably asking yourself “why should I buy a natural latex mattress topper”. I have you covered.
Why Should You Buy A Natural Latex Mattress Topper?
Getting a good night’s sleep is tough these days. Lucky for you, there are some newer technologies and products that are available to remedy that. Latex foam mattress toppers are one of the many ways to help get a good night’s sleep again. There are a few reasons why you do or could need a latex mattress topper.
A lot of people are stuck with a mattress that just isn’t comfortable enough for them. Whether it’s because they picked out a mattress that was too hard or you are in possession of an old mattress, it’s easy to have a bed that is too firm or too soft. Latex mattress toppers can help increase your comfort on an old or new mattress. They don’t discriminate.
Do you run hot or does your bed always seem to be way too warm? There’s a reason you are supposed to keep your bedroom a lower temperature for sleeping. It helps you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. If you have a hot mattress this can really disrupt your sleep. A latex foam mattress topper stays cooler enabling you to sleep better.
All five latex foam mattress toppers in this article refer to the Firmest versions available. These five toppers also come in Medium and Soft versions, and in different thicknesses.
Top 5 Hot Picks for Latex Mattress Toppers in 2018
Now that we have established you want to buy a new latex mattress topper, or are at least curious, which one should you buy? I have picked the top 5 latex foam mattress toppers on the market and broken down why I picked them below. This will be a great guide to finding the right latex mattress topper for you.
1. 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Latex Mattress Factory. NOTE: NO LONGER AVAILABLE
Coming in at #1 on my list is the 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Latex Mattress Factory. I would recommend the 2-inch or 3-inch density for increased support and firmness. This is going to provide the most pressure relief and be suitable for most buyers. Why is this my #1 pick? Let’s dive in for the details.
- The materials are organic and environmentally safe without any harsh chemicals for you to inhale every night.
- This firmness level will relieve pressure points and help align your body properly. You will wake up feeling refreshed and spry instead of groaning your way out of bed.
- No more sneezing, itching, or other allergic reactions to your mattress.
100% Latex Green Natural Dunlop
- Rest assured that you don’t have any hidden components to your mattress like flame retardants.
- Naturally stays cool and comfortable all night long. Great for people who run hot or couples who want to have a blanket on them without burning up.
- You won’t need to worry about mold, mildew, or dust mites due to the low pH of latex. This is such a huge benefit to latex mattress toppers because it is about the cleanest thing you could sleep on.
$200+ Queen Size
- The price tag can sting a little but if you really breakdown what you are getting for it, it doesn’t seem so bad. This is generally an easy fix for a poor mattress or an old mattress. So, you won’t have to buy a new mattress for some time.
Firmness Level Slightly Inaccurate
- The biggest complaint I have found on this mattress topper is that the firmness level is a little off. What in the world does that boil down to? It means the 2” probably feels more like a 3” and the 3” feels more like a 4”. Just look it as being one step up on firmness and order based on that.
- The other complaint I have found is that little bits of the topper can come off. Now, that may not seem like a big deal to just vacuum up, but it would drive me crazy. If you keep it covered, you don’t have to worry about it.
This 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Latex Mattress Factory is top of my list for good reason. The reviews on this mattress topper have been phenomenal. I was hard pressed to find much negative feedback. Besides the price tag, I can’t imagine another reason not to buy this latex mattress topper. You won’t be disappointed.
2. Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Sleep on Latex.
The Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Sleep on Latex came in at number two on my top five list. It doesn’t have quite the quality that the 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Latex Mattress Factory had although it was a close second. It still is a very high quality mattress topper and has excellent features.
Holds Its Shape
- This mattress topper really stays its same shape. No amount of tossing and turning or sleeping in the same spot every night seems to change the composition or firmness.
- Okay, maybe it doesn’t last forever. None the less, it’s a very durable mattress topper and will last a very long time. Not only that, but it is going to extend the life of your mattress as well.
100% Natural Latex
- No synthetic materials or weird fillers. You get what it says on the box.
- Don’t just take my word for it. The 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Latex Mattress Factory has undergone thorough testing and received multiple certifications such as:
- Greenguard Gold Certified
- EcoInstitut Certified
- Oeko-Tex Class 1 Certified
Firmness Level Softer than Anticipated
I would suggest the 2 inch or 3 inch topper. Buyers have complained that it is softer than what they thought it would be. So, if you are looking for a firmer mattress topper, I would go thicker rather than thinner.
- There have been a few complaints of an odor that emits from this topper. While it is void of any harmful chemicals, this can still be disruptive to your sleep environment.
- Almost $300 is pretty high cost for a queen mattress topper. You are getting an incredibly great topper, but it still can be a tough pill to swallow.
- I haven’t found this complaint often enough for it to be a major concern. However, some buyers have stated that the mattress toppers yellow coloring has leaked into their sheets or mattress after some time. This seems to be fairly rare but it is still something to consider.
The Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Sleep On Latex Mattress Factory is my second choice for a good reason. It has the firmness, certifications, and environmental properties I look for in a latex mattress topper. On the downside, it is pricey and seems to have a few minor annoyances that could get in the way of you and your sleep. I still stand by it being a quality product and recommend it for you.
3. Ultimate Dreams Talalay Latex Firm Mattress Topper by Dreamfoam Bedding
On to our number 3 favorite latex mattress topper! The Ultimate Dreams Talalay Latex Mattress Topper by Dreamfoam Bedding is a different kind of latex than the previous two. It is a Talalay latex which really comes down to it being more breathable than the dunlop. It still has the firmness and support you desire all being packaged in a soft bamboo cover. Let’s see what makes this mattress topper tick.
- Some prefer this over the Dunlop latex process
- A really nice added touch of luxury and comfort
- No need to worry about those pesky allergies
- Some other latex toppers can have a distinct smell to them while this one smells like air (a.k.a. nothing).
Clean As a Whistle
- Antibacterial, anti-mold, anti-mildew, anti-dust mites, anti-dirty!
Synthetic Materials Included
- This is a big pitfall for some people. Talalay mattress toppers are really awesome until you hit this point. It’s not 100% natural. In fact, it’s only about 30% talalay latex and 70% filler products. Now, that may be a deal breaker for some while others won’t care.
Softer Than Would Like
- Multiple reports of this topper not being as firm as people would expect or desire. If you are looking for a really firm mattress, I would look to another mattress topper listed as this seems to run on the softer end.
- $350+ is a pretty steep price. I’d say it’s partially because of the bamboo cover and talalay latex. I do have some less expensive toppers listed if this is a deal breaker.
Not For Heavy Buyers
- There were a few complaints of heavier set buyers that sank in too far for their taste. Also, some complaints about losing the shape of the mattress topper. Now, that was from people in the 175+ pound range. So, if you don’t tip the scales that far, you are probably safe.
The Ultimate Dreams Talalay Latex Firm Mattress Topper by Dreamfoam Bedding is an excellent mattress topper choice, especially if you like talalay latex over dunlop latex. If you don’t really care either way, there are still some benefits to this mattress topper. It does come with a high price tag which can be a major deterrent. If you do choose the The Ultimate Dreams Talalay Latex Mattress Topper by Dreamfoam Bedding, you are sure to be happy as Goldilocks in her final bed choice.
Queen Size Original Talalay Latex Mattress Pad Toppers: 2″, 3″, Many Densities
The Original Talalay Latex Mattress Pad Toppers by Latex Sleep Therapy is my number four choice for a few reasons. The first is that it is the most expensive of all the mattress toppers I’ve reviewed here. Second, it is a little softer than I’d like. Finally, it’s not 100% natural which can be a deal breaker for some. That being said, it does have great reviews and an excellent quality. That’s probably why the price point is so high as well.
Pin Core Perforated
- What in the world does that mean? Basically, there are a lot of holes in the mattress topper to increase the airflow. This will keep you cool and comfortable.
- A signature way to describe talalay latex is springy. It seems to rebound easily and keeps you from sinking in.
- Like all the other latex toppers, it is hypoallergenic, antimicrobial, and resistant to mildew, mold, and dust mites.
- There is an overwhelming amount of positive ratings on this topper! In fact, I had to search high and low for any negative ones. That’s a really good sign.
- If you are in the team talalay camp, this mattress topper is right for you.
- $350+ is not a fun amount to fork over even for Original Talalay Latex Mattress Pad Toppers. Most people will tell you it’s worth it, but it depends if it is in your budget or not.
- Seems to be softer than desired if you are looking for a very firm mattress. If that’s the case you could double up (price gouge!) or go with a different mattress topper listed in this article.
Not 100% Natural
- Again, some people are okay with this and some are not okay with it. It’s a matter of preference here. It does seem harder to want to buy something that isn’t labeled organic or 100% natural now though.
The Original Talalay Latex Mattress Pad Toppers by Latex Sleep Therapy is a quality choice for a mattress topper. While it isn’t 100% natural, it may be 100% comfortable for you. That, my friends, is not something to overlook.
5. Vytex 100% Natural Latex Topper
- Brace yourself for this crazy process. The Vytex, a plant based compound, comes from the Hevea brasiliensis tree. It is taken from there and then processed with no chemicals or harsh materials to get rid of any specific proteins that are the cause of a latex allergy. I told you it was crazy.
- I’m sure you already figured that one out on your own. It comes from a tree and is processed with no harsh chemicals. This mattress topper has no fillers, and no chemicals to worry about breathing in all night. It is probably one of the safest and cleanest mattress toppers you can buy.
- It’s porous enough to allow for great airflow while still keeping its integrity.
- Built to relieve pressure and make you “float” instead of “sink”.
- An extra bonus so you don’t have to worry about putting your sheets directly on the mattress topper. I also think this is a great way to prolong the life of your mattress topper.
- Everything that Vytex does is environmentally satisfying. They have sound practices and control over how their product is made so that they don’t have to worry about doing anything to harm the environment.
- $300+ firm Queen size still is expensive. However, it is definitely on the lower end of the list we have covered, so there’s that.
Not Dunlop or Talalay Latex
- If you are a die hard dunlop or talalay latex person, you are probably sitting there scratching your head. We have you covered with other toppers above. Admit it though, you are a little curious. Aren’t you?
The Vitex 100% Natural Latex Topper is a rare breed. I think it’s a very innovative process and material. We may start seeing people gravitate towards this type of material more and more eventually. It is clean, efficient, and sustainably made. This all comes at a lower price than most of the other toppers mentioned. What more do you want people?
What Is The Right Latex Foam Mattress Topper For Me?
Still trying to figure out which mattress topper to get? Finding a mattress topper is more personal than some people will have you believe. In fact, asking yourself this very question leads us to some other questions. There are a couple of different things you can do to figure out which of the five mentioned are going to work best for you and your bed.
This one might seem quite obvious but it’s the most important category to start with. Why are you going to buy a natural latex mattress topper? Do you have back issues? Do you just want to cover up an older mattress without buying a new one?
If you have back or hip trouble, you are going to want to a really firm mattress topper. If that’s the case, you probably want to get my first recommendation, the 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Latex Mattress Factory.
If you are just looking for a mattress topper to give you a little more support or cover up another mattress, you really could go with any of the mattress toppers.
However, I would suggest either, the Ultimate Dreams Talalay Latex Mattress Topper by Dreamfoam Bedding or the Vitex Cotton Covered 100% Natural Latex Mattress Toppers by Vytex. They still have a firmness to them you will enjoy, but maybe not quite as stiff as the 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Latex Mattress Factory.
Who is it for?
Well, this is another “duh!” moment. Is it for yourself? If so, you probably have a good idea of which one you want. If it’s for you and a loved one or for someone else, it can be a little more tricky.
When it is for you and a partner, I would suggest the The Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Sleep on Latex. That seems to be the best co-sleeping mattress topper of the bunch.
If it’s for someone else, I suggest referring to my other questions in this section to make the best decision.
This one is pretty cut and dry. Here are the mattress toppers ranked by price high to low:
- The Original Talalay Latex Foam Mattress Toppers by Latex Sleep Therapy
- Ultimate Dreams Talalay Latex Mattress Topper by Dreamfoam Bedding
- Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Sleep on Latex
- Vytex Cotton Covered 100% Natural Latex Topper by Vytex
- 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Latex Mattress Factory.
You can make your decision budget wise based on that!
Does 100% Natural Matter To You Or Not?
If it does, than you are going to want to go with either the 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Latex Mattress Factory, the Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Sleep on Latex, or the Vytex Cotton Covered 100% Natural Latex Topper by Vytex.
If it does not, then you can open yourself up to the Ultimate Dreams Talalay Latex Mattress Topper by Dreamfoam Bedding or the Original Talalay Latex Foam Mattress Toppers by Latex Sleep Therapy.
This one is a bit of a stickler, too. They are all “technically” considered a firm mattress topper. However, some are more firm than others. For instance, my number one pick, the 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Latex Mattress Factory is probably the most firm of all of the toppers. I would say that the Vytex is a good runner up there.
The Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Sleep on Latex is still pretty firm, but less so than the above mentioned toppers.
The Talalay mattress toppers ( the Ultimate Dreams Talalay Latex Mattress topper by Dreamfoam Bedding or the Original Talalay Latex Foam Mattress Topper by Latex Sleep Therapy) are going to be less firm just because of the makeup of the material. Talalay is notoriously more springy and can feel less firm.
As mentioned earlier, all of these come in Firm, Medium, and Soft versions. This article is primarily about the “firm” versions of the products.
The Final Verdict
You may have felt like Goldilocks at the beginning of this article, but you should feel considerably more confident about why you should buy a natural latex mattress topper.
Buying a natural latex mattress topper is such a great way to increase your quality of sleep without spending a fortune on a new mattress. If you had any doubts about a latex mattress topper, I bet you don’t now. Any one of the 5 latex foam mattress toppers mentioned are a great option for a better night’s sleep.
Note from Richard: I bought the 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Latex Mattress Factory – shown below:
To read more about why I bought it and why I think it’s a really good choice for hot sleepers – Click Here.