When Goldilocks wanted to buy a natural latex mattress topper, she only had three choices, firm, medium, and soft.
But now we have to choose between Dunlop, Talalay, and Vytex. Don’t worry, I’ll explain all of that.
Finding a new mattress can be difficult and expensive.
A natural latex mattress topper can help fix the comfort level of your current mattress or any new mattress you may purchase.
UPDATE: When you want to buy a natural latex mattress topper, buy this one… Click Here Now
Not wanting to spend a ton of money on a new mattress? You aren’t alone. A latex foam mattress topper is an excellent alternative for many reasons. You are probably asking yourself “why should I buy a natural latex mattress topper”. I have you covered. Keep reading.
Why Should You Buy A Natural Latex Mattress Topper?
Getting a good night’s sleep is tough these days. Lucky for you, there are some newer technologies and products that are available to remedy that. Latex foam mattress toppers are one of the many ways to help get a good night’s sleep again. There are a few reasons why you do or could need a latex mattress topper.
A lot of people are stuck with a mattress that just isn’t comfortable enough for them. Whether it’s because they picked out a mattress that was too hard or you are in possession of an old mattress, it’s easy to have a bed that is too firm or too soft. Latex mattress toppers can help increase your comfort on an old or new mattress. They don’t discriminate.
Do you run hot or does your bed always seem to be way too warm? There’s a reason you are supposed to keep your bedroom a lower temperature for sleeping. It helps you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. If you have a hot mattress this can really disrupt your sleep. A latex foam mattress topper stays cooler enabling you to sleep better.
All five latex foam mattress toppers in this article come in Firm,Medium and Soft versions, and in different thicknesses.
Top 5 Hot Picks for Latex Mattress Toppers in 2019
Now that we have established you want to buy a new latex mattress topper, or are at least curious, which one should you buy? I have picked the top 5 latex foam mattress toppers on the market and broken down why I picked them below. This will be a great guide to finding the right latex mattress topper for you.
#1. Nestled 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper
Coming in at #1 on my list is the Nestled 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper .
I would recommend the 2-inch or 3-inch density for comfort.
This is going to provide the most pressure relief and be suitable for most buyers.
Why is this my #1 pick? Let’s dive in for the details.
PROS of The Nestled 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper
Relieves Aches and Pains
- Making a too firm new mattress softer or firming up an old saggy mattress is what most people want. Well, the Nestled topper provides it.
- The materials are all 100% natural (organic toppers are available) and environmentally safe without any harsh chemicals for you to inhale every night.
- I am only guessing now: Since organic latex toppers are being made by the same company, I suspect that their all natural toppers are grown the same way (organically). The difference being that the trees must be grown as organic for several years before they can be certified as organically grown. Also, to protect their organic trees, they can’t be using non-organic methods nearby, because of possible contamination. So, you are getting the best possible 100% natural toppers.
- This soft firmness level will relieve pressure points and help align your body properly. You will wake up feeling refreshed and spry instead of groaning your way out of bed.
Hypoallergenic – Except for Latex Allergies
- No more sneezing, itching, or other allergic reactions to your mattress.
- If you have latex allergies, you might be able to use the new Vytex toppers. They are made differently from all other latex toppers to specifically remove all allergens.
100% Latex Green Natural Dunlop
- Rest assured that you don’t have any hidden components to your mattress like flame retardants.
- Naturally stays cool and comfortable all night long. Great for people who run hot or couples who want to have a blanket on them without burning up.
- You won’t need to worry about mold, mildew, or dust mites due to the low pH of latex. This is such a huge benefit to latex mattress toppers because it is about the cleanest thing you could sleep on.
- The price tag can sting a little but if you really breakdown what you are getting for it, it doesn’t seem so bad. This is generally an easy fix for a poor mattress or an old mattress. So, you won’t have to buy a new mattress for some time.
- Some people complained that it had a smell, but most people reported no smell.
This Nestled 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper is top of my list for good reason. The reviews on this mattress topper have been phenomenal. I was hard pressed to find much negative feedback. Besides the price tag, I can’t imagine another reason not to buy this latex mattress topper. You won’t be disappointed.
#2. Vytex 100% Natural Latex Topper
I own a Vytex latex topper. It looks and feels just like my other 100% natural Dunlop latex topper.
So, why is this rated as #2?
Unlike the Nestled topper, it isn’t nearly organic.
Unlike other Dunlop latex toppers, Vytex has their own unique processing method, which is a variation of the Dunlop process. That makes it the most Hypoallergenic.
The Most Hypoallergenic Latex
I own it. You Should Own It Too
PROS Of The Vytex Latex Mattress Topper
The Most Hypoallergenic Latex Available
Just like any natural latex product, the latex sap is tapped from the Hevea brasiliensis tree. It is taken from there and then processed to get rid of any specific proteins that are the cause of a latex allergy. This is what makes Vytex different from any other latex. It practically eliminates any latex allergy reactions.
100% Natural and Eco Friendly
- I’m sure you already figured that one out on your own. It comes from a tree and is processed with no harsh chemicals. This mattress topper has no fillers, and no chemicals to worry about breathing in all night. It is probably one of the safest and cleanest mattress toppers you can buy.
- Everything that Vytex does is environmentally satisfying. They have sound practices and control over how their product is made so that they don’t have to worry about doing anything to harm the environment.
- It’s porous enough to allow for great airflow while still keeping its integrity.
Built to relieve pressure and make you “float” instead of “sink”.
It is a little more expensive than the other toppers. That can change. So, check the price here.
Not The Usual Dunlop or Talalay Latex
If you are a die hard original Dunlop or Talalay latex person, you are probably sitting there scratching your head. We have you covered with other toppers in this article. Admit it though, you are a little curious. Aren’t you?
Is the Vytex Latex Topper Right For You?
The Vitex 100% Natural Latex Topper is still new, and so there aren’t a lot of reviews about it.
I own a Vytex topper, and it is every bit as good as my other latex topper.
Vytex is a very innovative process and produces an excellent product. We will start seeing people gravitate towards this topper more and more.
If you have chemical allergies, or any allergy, Vytex latex toppers are your ONLY choice. Click Here To Get Yours Now
#3. Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Sleep on Latex.
The Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Sleep on Latex came in at number two on my top five list.
It doesn’t have quite the quality that the Nestled 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper had, although it was a close second.
It still is a very high quality mattress topper and has excellent features.
PROS of The Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper
Holds Its Shape
- This mattress topper really stays its same shape. No amount of tossing and turning or sleeping in the same spot every night seems to change the composition or firmness.
- Okay, maybe it doesn’t last forever. None the less, it’s a very durable mattress topper and will last a very long time. Not only that, but it is going to extend the life of your mattress as well.
100% Natural Latex
- No synthetic materials or weird fillers. You get what it says on the box.
- Unlike the Nestled topper, the latex trees are probably not grown without chemicals. Even though the latex is a 100% natural product. This is one of those half-truths that is common in this industry.
- Don’t just take my word for it. The 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Latex Mattress Factory has undergone thorough testing and received multiple certifications such as:
- Greenguard Gold Certified
- EcoInstitut Certified
- Oeko-Tex Class 1 Certified
Firmness Level Softer than Anticipated
I would suggest the 2 inch or 3 inch topper. Buyers have complained that it is softer than what they thought it would be. So, if you are looking for a firmer mattress topper, I would go thicker rather than thinner.
- There have been a few complaints of an odor that emits from this topper. While it is void of any harmful chemicals, this can still be disruptive to your sleep environment.
- Click here to check the price on a queen mattress topper. You are getting an incredibly great topper, but latex is more expensive than memory foam.
- I haven’t found this complaint often enough for it to be a major concern. However, some buyers have stated that the mattress toppers yellow coloring has leaked into their sheets or mattress after some time. This seems to be fairly rare but it is still something to consider.
The Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Sleep On Latex Mattress Factory is my second choice for a good reason.
It has the firmness, certifications, and environmental properties I look for in a latex mattress topper.
On the downside, it is pricey and seems to have a few minor annoyances that could get in the way of you and your sleep.
I still stand by it being a quality product and recommend it for you.
#4. Ultimate Dreams Talalay Latex Firm Mattress Topper by Dreamfoam Bedding
On to our number 3 favorite latex mattress topper! The Ultimate Dreams Talalay Latex Mattress Topper by Dreamfoam Bedding is a different kind of latex than the previous two.
It is a Talalay latex which really comes down to it being a bit softer than the Dunlop latex toppers. It also has some synthetic latex mixed in with the natural latex,
It still has the firmness and support you desire all being packaged in a soft bamboo cover. Let’s see what makes this mattress topper tick.
PROS Of The Ultimate Dreams Talalay Latex Mattress Topper
- Some prefer this over the Dunlop latex process
- A really nice added touch of luxury and comfort
Hypoallergenic – Except for Latex Allergies
- No need to worry about those other pesky allergies
- Some other latex toppers can have a distinct smell to them while this one smells like air (a.k.a. nothing).
Clean As a Whistle
- Antibacterial, anti-mold, anti-mildew, anti-dust mites, anti-dirty!
Synthetic Materials Included
- This is a big pitfall for some people. Talalay mattress toppers are really awesome until you hit this point. It’s not 100% natural. In fact, it’s only about 30% talalay latex and 70% filler products. Now, that may be a deal breaker for some while others won’t care.
Softer Than Would Like
- Multiple reports of this topper not being as firm as people would expect or desire. If you are looking for a really firm mattress, I would look to another mattress topper listed as this seems to run on the softer end.
- The 3 inch queen size topper is expensive. I’d say it’s partially because of the bamboo cover and talalay latex. I do have some less expensive toppers listed if this is a deal breaker.
Not For Heavy Buyers
- There were a few complaints of heavier set buyers that sank in too far for their taste. Also, some complaints about losing the shape of the mattress topper. Now, that was from people in the 175+ pound range. So, if you don’t tip the scales that far, you are probably safe.
The Ultimate Dreams Talalay Latex Firm Mattress Topper by Dreamfoam Bedding is an excellent mattress topper choice, especially if you like talalay latex over dunlop latex. If you don’t really care either way, there are still some benefits to this mattress topper. It does come with a high price tag which can be a major deterrent. If you do choose the The Ultimate Dreams Talalay Latex Mattress Topper by Dreamfoam Bedding, you are sure to be happy as Goldilocks in her final bed choice.
#5 Queen Size Original Talalay Latex Mattress Pad Toppers: 2″, 3″, Many Densities
The Original Talalay Latex Mattress Pad Toppers by Latex Sleep Therapy is my number four choice for a couple reasons.
The first is that it is a little softer than might be best for you. What I mean is that too soft can cause back problems just as much as too firm does.
Second, it’s not 100% natural which can be a deal breaker for some. By definition, all Talalay toppers are not 100% natural.
That being said, it does have great reviews and an excellent quality. That’s probably why the price point is so high as well.
If You Want SOFT This Is It
PROS Of The Original Talalay Latex Mattress Pad Toppers
Pin Core Perforated
- What in the world does that mean? Basically, there are a lot of holes in the mattress topper to increase the airflow. This will keep you cool and comfortable. To be fair ALL latex toppers have air holes in them.
- A signature way to describe Talalay latex is springy. It seems to rebound easily and keeps you from sinking in. Many people like the additional bounce that Talalay toppers have over the Dunlop toppers.
- Like all the other latex toppers, it is hypoallergenic (except for latex allergies), antimicrobial, and resistant to mildew, mold, and dust mites.
- There is an overwhelming amount of positive ratings on this topper! In fact, I had to search high and low for any negative ones. That’s a really good sign.
- If you are in the team talalay camp, this mattress topper is right for you.
- Somewhat expensive compared to the other latex toppers. You Can check the price here: Original Talalay Latex Mattress Pad Toppers. Most people will tell you it’s worth it, but it depends if it is in your budget or not.
- Their 14 ILD softness rating is the softest topper available. Some people love it, because it fixes their too firm mattress. However, this level of softness can cause back problems for some people. The thick the topper the more likely it is to become too soft.
- They also have the Medium and Firm toppers available.
Not 100% Natural
- Again, some people are okay with this and some are not okay with it. It’s a matter of preference here. It does seem harder to want to buy something that isn’t labeled organic or 100% natural now though.
The Original Talalay Latex Mattress Pad Toppers by Latex Sleep Therapy is a quality choice for a mattress topper. While it isn’t 100% natural, it may be 100% comfortable for you. That, my friends, is not something to overlook.
What Is The Right Latex Foam Mattress Topper For Me?
Still trying to figure out which mattress topper to get?
Finding a mattress topper is more personal than some people will have you believe.
In fact, asking yourself this very question leads us to some other questions.
There are a couple of different things you can do to figure out which of the five mentioned toppers are going to work best for you and your bed.
What Problem Will A Latex Topper Solve For You?
This one might seem quite obvious but it’s the most important category to start with. Why are you going to buy a natural latex mattress topper?
Do you have back issues? Do you just want to cover up an older mattress without buying a new one?
If you have back troubles, you are USUALLY going to want to a really firm mattress topper. If that’s the case, you probably want to get my first recommendation, the Nestled 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper
If you are just looking for a mattress topper to soften up a mattress that is too firm, you really could go with any of the mattress toppers.
Who Is It For?
Well, this is another “duh!” moment. Is it for yourself? If so, you probably have a good idea of which one you want. If it’s for you and a loved one or for someone else, it can be a little more tricky.
When it is for you and a partner, you will have to decide between the springier Talalay or the less springy Dunlop toppers. Then depending on bed style and preferences, either a single topper or split toppers.
If it’s for someone else, I suggest referring to my other questions in this section to make the best decision.
This one is pretty cut and dry. Here are the mattress toppers ranked by price high to low:
1.Ultimate Dreams Talalay Latex Mattress Topper by Dreamfoam Bedding
2. The Original Talalay Latex Foam Mattress Toppers by Latex Sleep Therapy
3. Vytex Cotton Covered 100% Natural Latex Topper by Vytex
4. Nestled 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper
5. Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper by Sleep on Latex
You can make your decision budget wise based on that!
Does 100% Natural Matter To You Or Not?
If it does, then you are going to want to go with the Nestled as a first choice. The second choice is the Vytex, and third is the Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper.
If it does not, then you can open yourself up to the Ultimate Dreams Talalay Latex Mattress Topper or the Original Talalay Latex Foam Mattress Toppers.
This one is a bit of a stickler, too. All brands sell Firm, Medium and Soft firmness levels.
Nestled “Firm” is 34 ILD , Medium is 26 ILD, Soft is 20 ILD.
The Vytex company says that Natural Latex Products are only measured using the density rating system: 65K Soft (approximately 20 ILD), 75K Medium (approximately ILD 29), 85K Firm (approximately 35 ILD), 95K Extra Firm (approximately 40ILD).
That might be technically correct, but the industry standard uses the ILD measurement method. Which isn’t a very good method, but that is what is used by most companies. I explain that more in this article.
Pure Green “Firm” is 44 ILD, Medium is 30 ILD, and Soft is 20 ILD.
Ultimate Dreams “Firm” 36 ILD, Medium 28 ILD, Soft 19 ILD
Original Talalay “Firm” 44 ILD, Med-firm 36 ILD, Medium 28 ILD, MED-Soft 19 ILD , Soft 14 ILD
The Final Verdict
You may have felt like Goldilocks at the beginning of this article, but you should feel considerably more confident about why you should buy a natural latex mattress topper.
When you buy a natural latex mattress topper, you can greatly increase your quality of sleep, without spending a fortune on a new mattress.
If you had any doubts about a latex mattress topper, I bet you don’t now. Any one of the 5 latex foam mattress toppers mentioned are a great option for a better night’s sleep.
I have also purchased a gel memory foam topper that was much too hot for me to use. Whereas the latex toppers add VERY little warmth to your bed. You’re gonna like it.
You may return to the home page here.