CBD is just about everywhere at the moment, from supplements to vaporizers, bath soaks, drinks, and even our food! And for a good reason. A popular natural remedy, it has been used for years to treat many common ailments and continues to gain momentum in the health, wellness, and now even the beauty world. Click here to find out more about CBDistillery, and continue reading about the beauty benefits of CBD oil.
While it may seem like a strange ingredient to include in your beauty regime, CBD carries many benefits when infused into various skin and hair care products and is currently a growing trend in the beauty industry.
Read on to find more about this potent, healing, taboo plant extract, its benefits, and why you should incorporate it into your daily routine.
What is CBD oil?
Known scientifically as cannabidiol, CBD is one of more than 100 chemical compounds called cannabinoids found in the Cannabis sativa, or cannabis, plant. However, CBD only contains trace amounts of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the primary psychoactive in cannabis that causes a high, making it safe for legal consumption.
CBD oil, which is ready for use as we know it, is made when CBD oil is extracted from the cannabis plant and then diluted with a carrier oil – for example, coconut. Some manufacturers will use heat to remove the CBD from the cannabis plant, while others may use alcohol to create a CBD tincture.
It comes in varying strengths that people can use for different purposes and can be applied topically onto the skin via creams and lotions, in a roll-on, or drops placed under the tongue.
CBD oil can be found in various in-store and online products and has taken the beauty world by storm.
It is commonly found in beauty products, including moisturizers, face masks, sunscreens, lip balms, oils, bath soaks, etc., and more!
What are some of the beauty benefits of CBD oil in beauty products?
Thanks to its versatility in treating various ailments, experts and consumers alike are fans of CBD, including skin conditions. Here are some of the leading beauty benefits:
- Improves acne – Thanks to CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties, CBD oil has been found to calm acne flare-ups and reduce redness around cysts. Not only does it help treat this skin condition, but it also helps to prevent it by decreasing the production of sebum on the skin, which blocks pores and causes acne. Not only that, but one study has even suggested that CBD may help treat the appearance of acne scars.
- It is anti-inflammatory – Studies have shown that CBD has powerful anti-inflammatory properties, particularly effective on the skin. It may help reduce redness, swelling, and pain from irritation and existing breakouts, as well as more chronic skin conditions. These include psoriasis and eczema that can be particularly uncomfortable and painful and are often treated with steroids.
- Prevents signs of aging – The beauty industry is always on the lookout for that one magical product that can turn back the years, and thanks to CBD, they may have gotten close. A 2017 study concluded that CBD is rich in antioxidants which guard the skin against free-radical damage from oxidative stress, pollution, UV rays, and impurities that can age the skin and cause premature signs of aging. CBD is, therefore, an anti-aging ingredient that helps prevent the formation of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Helps with sunburn – A lesser-known benefit of CBD in beauty and skincare is its ability to help reduce the effects of sunburn as a result of its anti-inflammatory properties. While more and more people are becoming educated on the importance of sunscreen, many people still don’t or miss areas by mistake. Applying a CBD-infused SPF can temper the reaction of sunburned spots and supply more broad absorption, and it is one of the newest uses for CBD in skincare.
- Hydrates the skin – Research carried out in 2009 demonstrates CBD’s effectiveness for dry skin. The plant extract is exceptionally high in nutrients, and when applied topically onto the skin, can soothe and calm irritation, balancing the skin to keep its moisture levels balanced. This ability makes it a perfect skincare favorite for dry, sensitive or cracked skin.
Promotes healthy hair growth – Hair loss and thinning have become one of the biggest beauty concerns, with few solutions offering possible results. CBD oil is high in fatty omega acids that keep hair strong and moisturized, nourishing the scalp to promote hair growth while keeping split ends at bay.
It also treats stress and hormonal-induced hair loss, interacting with the receptors that control the body’s hormone regulation functions, making CBD a hair savior.
CBD oil is a chemical compound found and extracted from the marijuana plant that is then diluted with a carrier oil such as hemp seed.
Research suggests that CBD oil can be very beneficial for skin health due to its anti-inflammatory properties, improving acne, hydrating the skin, helping sunburn, and preventing premature signs of aging.
What about the health and beauty benefits of hemp seed oil vs the beauty benefits of CBD oil? Read this article: Cold Pressed Hemp Seed Oil For Skin, Face, Hair, & Cancer